Wednesday, October 15, 2003

I swear...

I think that I've watched more sports in the past few days than I have in my life! Football and baseball both. I would really love to see a Red Sox/Cubs World Series, that would be a lot of fun! And while I didn't see it, as it was past my beddie-bye time, if I were a certain person at the Cubs game last night, I'd be in the process of moving to Siberia!

I haven't seen the Great-grandmother blanket yet! My coworker and I have been working alternate schedules the past few days and just havent connected.

But that's actually o.k. for now, because it's giving me time to work on the sweater I'm doing for another friend. I was originally going to do the snowflake sweater for her granddaughter, but absolutely could not wrap my brain around it! I'm not sure if it was because I didn't like the lack of contrast between the two colors, or if it was because we chose a different weight yarn, or if I was just rebelling against doing the same sweater twice! Whatever it was, it made me start, and frog, three times. I know when I'm beat!

So I grabbed my three ring binder of patterns, brought it to work, and we picked out another pattern. The really cool thing about the pattern we chose is that it doesn't have a set gauge. Pick your yarn, pick your needles, work a stitch gauge for each of the four(!) pattern stitches, and the pattern gives the formula for the number of stitches. Even more interesting to me, the sweater (a cardigan) is worked from each cuff to the center, and then joined in the back with a three needle bind off.

This is sleeve number 1 so far:

I don't know if you can tell, but the stitch I've used so far is making a wavy fabric. I wasn't sure about it at the beginning, but six inches into it I've decided I really like it. Now I get to switch to the next stitch pattern. And, oh yes, those are ends that I'm going to have to weave in! As soon as a new color is joined three stitches are slipped, making it impossible to weave in loose ends. So, happy me, I get to do it at the end! Don't you envy me? (Heavy sarcasm, there!)

No comments: