Friday, November 19, 2004

Oh, it's been a long couple of days...

Not bad. Just long.

I was there when they got Mom out of bed, and STANDING!, for the first time on Wednesday, and damn was it hard to watch! But she did it! She did it! And considering she had major surgery to replace her knees 48 hours before, it was a pretty major accomplishment!

Then Thursday morning she did it again. And in comparison it seemed so much easier. She actually stood, supported by a walker of course, for about 10 minutes. It was pretty frickin' amazing.

Now she's at rehab, and the work really begins. They're going to be pushing her hard, and it's not going to be easy for me to watch. It's a helpless feeling, not being able to do it for her. Knowing that she's in a lot of pain, but that she *has* to do it.
I just wish that I could wave a magic wand and have it be all over for her.

And, since I've been doing a lot of sitting while keeping Mom company, I've also been doing a fair amount of knitting too.

I've finished a pair of purple and green mittens for Irina, pulling the color pattern from Knitting Fair Isle Mittens and Gloves and the sizing from the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. I've also started a pair of fingerless gloves/mittens loosely based on this pattern for Tony. Glove number 1 is almost finished, and I want to do glove 2 before I do the mitten part so I can make sure that I do them sort of the same. After all, what I read in a pattern is rarely what ends up happening on my needles!
Pictures are coming! I just need to dig up some new batteries for the camera!

No comments: