Tuesday, January 21, 2003

One of those things that makes you go "Wha...?"

I went to pick the girlie up at preschool yesterday. I was just happy that I had survived another day at work (which is sooooo incredibly boring right now, don't get me started...) Anyhoo, when I got there the teacher who works the end of the day was all excited and directed me to a wall where some pictures of simple shapes that the kids had done were hanging.

She told me that they were in the process of doing evaluations on the kids, just making sure that they were cognitively where they were suppose to be. Part of that was asking the kids to draw simple shapes. Now, most kids, when asked to draw a square would do this:



Mine does this:


She drew a three dimensional figure. At the age of four. A concept that she shouldn't understand for a few years yet. And she used it properly. (When I asked why she drew it that way she said that it was because that was "what the square in her head" looked like.

I know that no one cares but me, and maybe Grandma (Hi Mom), but this kid blows me away with the sheer amount of knowledge that she has on a regular basis.

No comments: