Sunday, March 23, 2003

I must admit

That I have been watching the news much more than is good for me. In a way it's like driving past a car wreck: You don't want to look, and you tell yourself not to look; but your head swivels as you go by despite your best intentions. It's sad, sad, sad...

On to other things!
This sock has been determined to drive me crazy. I knit the heel flap last night, decreased back down to the original number of stitches, and had Irina slip it on so I could check the length. Lo! and Behold! The ankle was fine, but the foot itself was huge! So ripping I go. I did an extra row of ribbing, decreasing 8 stitches in the process, knit the heel flap, started doing the guset decreases...and it didn't look right. Huh?

So, scratching my head, I head for my multitude of sock knitting books (multitude=3) to give myself a refresher course because I haven't knit a top down sock in, like, forever; being a generally toe-up sort of girl. So I pull out my copy of "Folk Socks", flip open to the heel variation section, and...

D'oh!
I forgot to turn the heel! No wonder the dumb thing looked so strange!

So now with my heel safely turned, and my gusset decreased, I can continue happily along until I realize that I've knit an inch too far and have to rip again! (Which, if I make myself actually sit and do it, should only be in about two hours)

No comments: