Thursday, April 24, 2003

Nice Afternoon

We wanted to do something interesting that we would all enjoy. For a while we considered going into Boston and hitting one of the museums in there, but the idea of driving in didn't rock us much. We thought it would also have been a much bigger commitment of time and patience than Irina would have been capable of at this point. It's not like we can just stick her in a stroller and push her around anymore, and I don't know how we would have delt with our "prepetual motion machine" at the MFA.

So we decided to stick close to home and went to the Danforth Museum in Framingham. The museum itself is small, but it does have a few really nice pieces. I was looking at one in the permanent collection, a metal sculpture, and suddenly realized that I knew the artist!

My father worked for David Shapiro for years. Somewhere at home my parents have photographs of my brother and I taken at a gallery opening that our family was invited to. I think we were maybe 5 and 6. (Yes Mom, I remember that too! Mostly I remember lying in the back seat on the way home, looking at the city lights out the car window...but I also remember curtsying when I was introduced to someone. No, I don't know why I curtsied.) It was incredibly cool to be standing in a room that had a *Picasso* in it looking at a piece done by someone I had actually met!

The Danforth also has many great art classes for all ages. I'm going to see if I can put Irina in something this summer, she'd love it. I also discovered that they offer beginning weaving classes. I know what I'm going to sign up for this fall!

No comments: